Low carb quick hollandaise sauce
Hollandaise sauce is quite possible the best thing about following a low carb way of eating. I love it with eggs and spinach or fried egg and a portobello mushroom for a weekend breakfast treat. Hollandaise is equally good with a main meal and we often have salmon, spinach and hollandaise for an evening meal. This low carb quick hollandaise sauce is so quick and easy to make you can whizz it up in the time it takes to cook your eggs.
This recipe is a low carb adaptation of a Delia Smith quick hollandaise recipe that is in my grandmother’s battered Delia Smith complete cookery course. The original recipe calls for sugar and a greater quantity of acids but when I am low carbing I omit the sugar and find it too tart. How low carbers might find they need a bit of sweetness (I don’t) so might need a little sprinkle of sugar on the plate.
I have also tried this recipe with a drop of Stevia and it does work but I try to avoid artificial sweeteners wherever possible
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons of lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons of white wine vinegar
- a pinch salt
- 150g butter
- In a food processor whizz together eggs, lemon, vinegar and salt. I use the smallest bowl of my Magimix for this but have used a stick blender with success.
- Melt the butter until it is very hot and bubbling. I do this in a plastic jug in the microwave as it makes the next step easier.....
- With the food mixer motor running continuously, dribble in the very hot melted butter a little at a time. Don't be tempted to pour too quickly or it will split
- Serve straight away. You can keep the hollandaise warm by putting it in a bowl and placing that in a bowl of boiling water